Potato soups are often very hearty, thick, and stew-like. Often these soups are served with some meaty stuff like sausages. That’s nice on cold days but especially when it is only a starter, you need a lighter type of soup. Today I will share with you a recipe for a light potato soup that is completely different.
Diced potatoes and carrots are cooked in a slightly milky, garlicky, herbal broth. The soup tastes aromatic and light as it has not the rich thickness that other potato soups have. Before serving, you can slightly froth the soup with a hand blender. This makes the dish look prettier and you can taste the aroma of the broth even better. This recipe is perfect if you are looking for a delicious simple change to your traditional soups. It’s easy to make and you need only a few simple ingredients. The recipe can be easily veganized by using vegetable milk.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley and coriander
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 pinch of turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
- about 4 medium-size potatoes
- 2 medium-size carrots
- 1,2 liters of water
- 300ml of milk
- 1-2 spring onions to garnish
- First, chop the onion finely. Then, heat the olive oil in a large pot and sauté the onion. Meanwhile, peel the garlic cloves and grate them. Add them to the onions and stir-fry everything for a moment.
- Next, add the flour. Stir the mixture well and fry it for some seconds. Subsequently, add the water and the milk. Now, bring the soup to boil.
- Meanwhile, chop the celery and the herbs finely. When the soup has come to boil, add it all to the soup. Season the soup with salt, pepper, ginger, and turmeric and let it cook for about 8 minutes.
- At the same time, peel the potatoes and the carrots and dice them. The potato cubes should be a bit larger than the carrot cubes.
- When the soup has cooked for a couple of minutes, blend it with a hand blender.
- Next, add the potatoes and carrots. Simmer the soup for another 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Finally, taste the soup and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Directly before serving, blend the surface of the soup again to froth it. Blend only the broth, not the veggies! Garnish the soup with finely sliced spring onions.